Monday, June 23, 2008

My "Most Favorite" Intern Responds

This is my interns response to the previous post.

Like the young woman who wrote the article, I too, grappled with what was okay for us to do with Kelli as she acclimated herself to coming into my home, my personal space. I wasn't quite sure what was professional and what was not, so I err on the side of relationship and invited her into my "LIFE".

All the way from Boise, ID, her parents/family trusted her to my care. With that in mind, I knew her time spent here had to be meaningful and something she could carry with her for the rest of her life. I did not pretend to know how to work her into the environment, but I did know, in advance, that she was a blank canvas, ready to learn and that she loved the Lord. It was important to me to do right by her, her parents and more importantly, by God.

ENJOY!


June 23rd,20081:40 am

I am the product of a home-office internship and I couldn’t be more thankful. I spent the summer of 2006 in Riverdale as the only intern for a PR company. My favorite memories and the moments I learned the most were when my mentor and I would walk to the market to get groceries that she and her husband needed. I had the opportunity to ask her the questions I had been storing up all day about our clients, how she would choose to handle situations for work, and more importantly how does a woman like herself balance life and career.

I feel there is a very unique experience as an intern when helping to cook breakfast because you are both hungry; or washing some dishes in the kitchen because you simply want to be a part of serving;or sitting on the couch in the living room to watch the news. There was focussed work that had to be accomplished and we got right down to it. There was also time when my 21-year-old world was having a personal conflict that I could feel comfortable in coming to my mentor because I had a relationship that was not just based on business but a well-rounded life.

Take your internship to the store, on walks with the dog, or to interviews in the city. Let her do the very things you have to do on a daily basis, and allow this to be a time for her to ask questions. When it gets to the time where she must choose her path she will know what to expect from all angles.

— Posted by Kelli

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BLACK ENTERPRISE Video